4.20.2004

Tim's First Album Review!

Hi Everybody!

Yesterday I won a radio contest, playing "My Three Songs." You have to guess what the common connection is between the 3, and be the first caller with the correct answer. Yesterday was my third time winning, fourth over all winning something from that station. So far I've won a free coffee mug and free coffee for a year, two movie passes to "Paycheck", a 30-day trial to a fitness center, and yesterday I won the new Aerosmith CD, "Honkin' On Bobo". So I thought, "What a perfect chance to do Tim's First Album Review! Here goes!

Album: Aerosmith - Honkin' On Bobo
Rating on All Music dot com: 4 stars out of 5
My Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5

For those of you who don't know, this is a mostly blues cover album, with only one original. Aerosmith have been talking about doing a blues album for years, and here it is. This album actually rocks quite a bit, as aerosmith have put thier own spin on many blues standards. They don't do any carbon copies. My personal fave on this platter is "Roadrunner" by Ellis McDaniel, aka Bo Diddley. This is the most energetic the 'smiths have sounded in years. In fact, they sound inspired and appear to be having a great time throughout the disc. There are a few slower songs, but no really cheesy ballads that have made appearances on the 1990's/200's releases from them. There's some really cool playing, with slide guitar and harmonica and hurdy gurdy. The last song is kind of boring, but OK for a street type gig.
This CD is also a CD extra, with computer content on it. You'll need an internet connection though. So anyway, I like this album. The only downside is that it's the best Aerosmith album since 1991's "Pump." And it only has one original. Oh well, I hope you all enjoyed this review.

Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home